Neurally Mediated Hypotension Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
In POTS, you cannot retain water without taking in electrolytes because of posterior pituitary dysfunction and insufficient antidiuretic hormone (ADH). Dehydration occurs.
Hyper-reactive Sympathetic nervous system (fight-or-flight) fires off a very rapid heart rate of 120 – 200. Sometimes just taking a shower will leave you exhausted as if you’d run a marathon.
The key to treatment is to take in massive quantities of salt and baking soda:
Along with high fluid intake, essential to increase electrolytes:
- Salt (Hain Iodized Sea Salt +/- Celtic or Himalayan) 1 tsp 2 – 4x/d
- Baking Soda ½ – 1 tsp 2 – 4x/d or Propel or Smart Water
- +/- Alka Selzer Gold 1 fizzy 1 – 3 x/d
If Anti-diuretic Hormone (Arginine Vasopressin) is low, add
Desmopressin (DDAVP) 0.1 – 0.2 mg bedtime +/- in am
- Cymbalta, Effexor, Savella
- If ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) levels are low, can replace with Desmopressin DDAVP
- Fludrocortisone (Florinef)
For more information: http://www.potsuk.org/what_is_pots2